Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Presence and Absence of Animals

I desperately miss my animals. They bring certain qualities of life back to me that I sorely lack while I'm away from them at college. This picture shows one of many traits that draw me almost magnetically towards animals; their ability to exude comfort in a home. I also miss the way in which animals love. I know it to be less than perfect. Some would say that all you have to do is feed a dog and it will love you, which means that they will love anyone from a bratty kid to an evil serial killer. In some ways that seems very negative, but when you are surrounded by relationships that are so draining to keep up (social taboos, the uncertainty of acceptance, etc.), it can be SO lovely to come home to a dog that simply loves the fact that you are home. Scoop out some food, cuddle a bit, and you have just GUARANTEED the love of a dog. It is not complex, with strings attached and bells and whistles. Instead, it is a companionship that will not hold any grudges or remember each time that you stepped on a paw...even if it was 10 minutes ago.

I miss my poochies. :(

No comments: